Our work with Educate Girls has evolved over several years and provides an example of how in-depth, flexible learning partnerships can help our partners amplify their impact with data and evidence.
Students in Jahazpur, Rajasthan, settle in for lunch during the Educate Girls development impact bond evaluation. (Photo by Ryan Fauber)
Our work with Educate Girls has evolved over several years and provides an example of how in-depth, flexible Learning Partnerships can help our partners amplify their impact with data and evidence.
Educate Girls (EG) is a Mumbai-based non-profit organization founded to improve girls’ enrollment in government primary and upper primary schools. They also provide tutoring and curriculum support with community-based volunteers.
Initially, Educate Girls needed an evaluator to design and conduct a three-year impact evaluation that would determine financial returns for a Development Impact Bond (DIB). But as our work together unfolded, IDinsight and Educate Girls identified other areas where data could help them increase their impact at scale.
Beyond the direct impact opportunity of implementing the program, the DIB evaluation allowed Educate Girls and potential funders to understand the impact of their work and work over three years to tweak their model to maximize its effectiveness.
Up to four million girls aged 6 to 14 are not enrolled in school in India. Even if enrolled in school, many students are not acquiring foundational skills like reading and basic arithmetic. As part of a Development Impact Bond, Educate Girls would:
The DIB evaluation led by IDinsight allowed Educate Girls and potential funders to understand the impact of Educate Girl’s work. The data also helped EG tweak their model to maximize its effectiveness.
Read more about the development impact bond.
Following the DIB, Educate Girls was selected as a 2019 Audacious Project recipient to enable the program to scale to 35,000 villages across northern India in pursuit of the following targets:
IDinsight is helping Educate Girls reach these goals in a comprehensive learning partnership. As Educate Girls scales, strengthening their ability to find, track, and deliver programming to girls will improve educational outcomes for millions of children.
As part of the evaluation for the DIB, we measured two outcomes: learning gains of boys and girls in grades 3-5 and enrollment of out-of-school girls.
Learning gains, which made up approximately 80% of the final DIB payments, were evaluated in a village-clustered randomized control trial. Enrollment of out-of-school girls, which contributed the remaining ~20% of the payments, was measured using a pre-post evaluation in the 141 villages where treatment schools are located.
As Educate Girls looked to strengthen their implementation, they saw an opportunity to improve their ability to find and track program participants and deliver education services. We worked with the EG team on a suite of improvements to help EG reach more out-of-school girls for the same cost.
A major part of our collaboration is helping EG decide where to expand its operations. EG wanted to maximize the value of their operational resources by running their program in geographies with the highest concentration of out-of-school girls. We used machine learning algorithms to predict which villages would have high concentrations of out-of-school girls. Our analyses estimated that approximately 40% of out-of-school girls live in only 5% of the villages. We worked with EG to incorporate this information into their expansion plans. By focusing on expanding to these villages with high numbers of out-of-school girls, we estimated that EG could identify and reach 600,000 more girls while expending similar levels of resources.
We are also supporting EG to build lean, robust, and decision-oriented monitoring and evaluation systems so that their team has high-quality, timely information to optimize their operations and inform decisions about enrolling, retaining, and teaching more girls. We are also running a rigorous evaluation to provide insights on EG’s ability to change outcomes.
We found that Educate Girls surpassed the DIB targets for both learning gains and enrollment. The effects of Educate Girls’ program on learning gains were large and statistically significant over the three-year program:
In addition to determining final payments, midline results from IDinsight’s evaluation enabled Educate Girls to fully realize the flexibility in programming provided by the DIB set-up and made effective, data-driven course corrections along the way. The success of the world’s first DIB has enabled Educate Girls to secure more funding to scale up its proven program.
In the subsequent Learning Partnership, we supported Educate Girls expansion in the following ways:
We support NGO partners to improve program design, streamline implementation, evaluate impact, and accelerate scale-up.
8 May 2019
14 May 2019
16 July 2019
24 July 2019